MMI BRASS BUCKLE
THE MMI BRASS BUCKLE -
The brass buckle which the Tiger’s Den Bookstore now has is a replica of the buckle worn by cadets from shortly after the turn of this century until World War II.
Leather belts with brass buckles were worn over the blouse of the dress uniform. The use of the words Marion Institute indicates that the belt came into use after April of 1907. Prior to that time, the name of the school was, as it is today, Marion Military Institute.
Its use was discontinued during World War II, when the shortage of brass for civilian purposes and the depletion of the stock of buckles on hand caused it to be dropped, probably in 1942.
Thus, the original brass buckle has become quite a collector’s item and is in scarce supply. Those pre-World War II alumni fortunate enough to have theirs will not sell them. The replica was made from a casting taken from a buckle owned by the late Dr. Burrwell S. Carpenter, Class of 1940.